Re: Font references and info

On -3359-Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:44:02PM +0200, David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl> spake thus,
> Yes, sorry...
>
> I'll have to take some time to understand fonts. I really don't have a
> clue... For example, in Knoppix, openoffice.org uses a font for the
> menus etc. that looks quite good, while in my Sid, it looks ugly as
> hell. I'm not that interested in using fonts in documents, but rather,
> using fonts and anti-aliasing for the apps themselves. For example,
> mozilla with AA looks _very_ neat! As does KDE 3.1, although apparently

Yes, I am primarily interested in fonts within applications (menus,
etc.) and for websites that display in Verdana or Arial (read: ones I
made in Windows, or even the ones I write now and put Verdana there
for the Winfolk).

> nobody in debian-kde knew how to let the font of konsole be just plain
> readable fixed, 8x13. I installed KDE to try out 'desktop linux' but
> except for the time it takes to start up, it is quite unusable without a
> readable konsole. I run X @800x600 on a TFT panel and, unfortunately,
> this makes AA rendering of small fonts difficult...
>
> David
>
> PS: Sorry I didn't have any info to share...

No worries. I received a response from someone else directly who
offered something of a personal account, and I did what that person
found successful but to no avail.

This is my current understanding of the basic requirements for
TrueType fonts in X11:

1. Get FreeType (I am using FreeType2, downloaded today).
2. Make sure you've got 'Load "freetype"' in XF86Config-4.
3. Put all your .ttf files somewhere, and afaik there is no specific
   location where they have to live.
4. Add that path to XF86Config-4 as 'FontPath "/path/to/ttfs/"'
5. Run something like ttmkfdir to create the fonts.scale file, and
   also mkfontdir to create the fonts.dir file within that
   "/path/to/ttfs" directory.
6. Somehow this should magically work.

I think I'm getting hung up on number 6 ;-) I load xfontsel and take a
look at the families and I see no verdana ;-(

Perhaps someone else has a suggestion, or a step I missed. I'd also
like to know what fonts people are using for their terminals,
especially if there is a font that can do all of the basic "old
school" ANSI characters that make BitchX look so good. Right now I'm
using -misc-fixed-medium-r, which looks pretty smart for text but
makes ANSI stuff look terrible. I am a big fan of the "Terminal"
bitmap font in Windows, anything like that out there?

Thanks again!

--
Aaron Bieber
-