Re: Font references and info

On -3175-Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:41:14PM -0700, Ross Boylan <ross@biostat.ucsf.edu> spake thus,
> I've been trying to understand how fonts work on Debian over the last few days, and thought it might be useful
> to share some of the references that look especially useful and some things I think I've found out.  I was
> inspired particularly by some problems with fonts under KDE, and I haven't fixed them yet.  So I'm hardly an
> expert.

Fonts in X are something that I've never really comprehended, and I wish someone somewhere would explain what the deal is with font servers like Xft and FreeType, their strengths and weaknesses, and what about anti-aliasing, and having fonts like Verdana available for just web browsing.

If someone could write a mini-HOWTO on these topics it'd be like Christmas for me over here.

Just a footnote to Ross: I don't mean to be nitpicky but you should either just break paragraphs, or more sensibly break your lines at 72 or 75 characters, it would help legibility enormously.

--
Aaron Bieber
-