Re: auto configuration of packages

Am Mittwoch, 9. Juli 2003 21:04 schrieb xavier renaut:
> Hello,
>
> i'm trying to install/configure a lot of debian boxes.
>
> i'm working on autoinstall and i think i'll be able
> to make it work.
>
> autoinstall provide autoinst-read-debconf,
> which reads all the answer i answered
> to debconf once, and is able to give
> thoses answers again to another autoinstall config.
>

> However, there will be always stuff
> that debconf can't do.
>
> say, if  i want
>
> - my ssh servers to run on another port,
> - a specific syslog.conf
> - some rewrite of /etc/passwd
>
> i currently don't know any way of doing it easily beside manually.
>

> i thought about doing it in a script. (which i'll
> execute on every machine.)
>
> later including this script in a postconfig of a dummy package,
> the sole purpose of this package would be to postconfigure
> the box.
>
> i tought about doing a "bastille" personalized perl script.
>

> what are your experiences ?
>
> what do you suggest ?

Although I haven't used it, you might want to check out the " FAI (Fully
Automatic Installation) for Debian GNU/Linux" on
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/
I have used gnu cfengine,  which can be a real pig to get it set up.
Once you do get it set up however, it will work like a dream.
It's made for maintaining lots and lots of machines.
There is a webmin module for it, too.

> what would be the best way to do it ?

apt-cache search cfengine
dpsyco-cfengine - Automate applying of cfengine configs.
cfengine - Tool for configuring and maintaining network machines
cfengine-doc - HTML and INFO documentation for cfengine
webmin-cfengine - cfengine module for webmin

Start with the doc :-))

--
good luck,
jochen