Re: ATAPI CD-writer

Hello

cr wrote:

> However, I can't find anything on the CD-ROM called
> vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci
> (which is the kernel in /boot  that GRUB calls), or vmlinuz-2.2.20-*****

> I note also that  /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci  and
> /cdrom/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/idepci/linux.bin
> are both 665509 bytes.
>
> So, is the vmlinuz  kernel just the /idepci/linux.bin file copied and
> renamed?
> If I just do the same with .../current/linux.bin   and rename it
> appropriately (and adjust Grub's menu.lst file) will it work?
> (More importantly, if it doesn't, will it break things?   )

You should not try to replace your Kernel but to install another one in
case the new Kernel does not work. Also, you need the kernel image file
and the modules.  Instead of trying do do that manually, use apt-get.
You can use apt-get to intall Kernels (apt-cache search kernel-image,
apt-get install kernel-image...). I don't know about grub, but if you use
lilo, the package management system asks you if you want your bootloader
reconfigured automatically, this probably also works for grub.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen