Re: ATAPI CD-writer

On Tuesday 08 July 2003 04:25, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:23:25 +1200
>
> cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> > I believe I also probably need sg and sr_mod.   Can they also be loaded
> > via modprobe?   And - this is probably a stupid question but, where would
> > I find  these modules - sg, sr_mod and  ide-scsi?   insmod  can't find
> > them -
> >
> > insmod: sg: no module by that name found
> >
> > I can't find them anywhere on my system, nor listed by name on the
> > complete Debian Woody CD-rom contents list that I keep handy.   The
> > CD-Writing HOWTO says  "Please read the next chapter if insmod complains
> > about missing module files" but I can't find any further mention of them
> > in the HOWTO (unless I > missed it).
>
> Modules are located in /lib/modules/<kernel_name>. Each kernel has its own
> modules subdirectory, created and filled when you install the kernel.

Hmmm.   Well, my kernel (the only one there) is 2.2.20-idepci   and its
directory doesn't contain any of those modules.   So I guess maybe I'm using
the wrong kernel.

I've just dug up a document 'images.html' I found somewhere on the net (or
maybe on a Woody CD-ROM) that says:

idepci image:
The idepci flavor contains a kernel with only IDE and PCI support.  It
is geared towards modern PCs without SCSI controllers.  If you have
SCSI, you should be using the 'compact' flavor rather than this one.

Obviously I chose the wrong option when I installed Debian.   So I guess I
need to replace my kernel with the 'compact' or the 'vanilla' one.

> If you use "modprobe ide-scsi", the system will find and load the ide-scsi
> module and any modules it depends on (like sr_mod and scsi_mod). So you
> shouldn't need to load these modules individually.
>
> Kevin

Predictably -
modprobe: Can't locate module ide-scsi

Thanks