some dev files disappeared, mouse doesn't work, no hostname

The other day I shut down my Sid box and left if off for several days.

Then when I came back to it tonight, I'm seeing some weird behaviour.

For example, the mouse doesn't work, via gpm in console.

I can't start X via "startx"; it complains about no /dev/tty0 device. And sure enough, it doesn't, although there are lots of other /dev/tty[] devices.

I was getting errors about a Windows partition, and sure enough, the device file /dev/hda1 was missing, although other /dev/hda[} files were there. I ran "./MAKEDEV hd" which fixed the missing hda1 file. I ran "./MAKEDEV generic" which fixed the missing /dev/tty0 file, and now startx works.

Even after that "/MAKEDEV generic" my mouse still doesn't work, and the device file /dev/psaux exists (and existed prior to the "generic"). (If I had a Knoppix CD handy I'd see if the mouse works there - it "feels" like a hardware problem, but these other issues, and the suddenness of the mouse problem, indicate a software problem.)

Sometimes, like if I try to do a "sudo", even something simple like "sudo ls", I get:
   sudo: unable to lookup westk03 via gethostbyname()
(westk03 is the name of this computer), and once I got something like "hostname does not exist", even though the command "hostname" reports "westk03" and that's what's in /etc/hostname.

Really weird stuff.

I also saw something along the way about devfs or something similar, and I'm wondering if we're in a transition from the /dev filesystem to some newer on-the-fly "devfs" setup (based on vague understandings and remembrances), and my box has gotten hosed by a bad transition. Or maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree.

At any rate, anyone have any idea what happened, and more importantly, how to get my box fixed?

Thanks!

--
Kent