Re: OT: CPU Speed and Temperature

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 11:39:21PM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> I have manage to figure out that by messing with the chipset settings
> in the BIOS I can change the speed of the CPU's opertation.  I.e.,
> setting a speed of 166 MHz comes up in the POST as a FSB of 333 MHz
> and the CPU is detected as an Athlon XP 2500+.  If I up it to 200 MHz,
> it show 400 MHz FSB and Athlon XP 3200+ in the POST.  Anyhow, if I run
> at the rated 333 MHz FSB, it occasionally locks up.  I have installed
> a Zalman CPU fan with a copper heatsink and two 80mm Antec case fans
> (1 front, 1 rear, 34 CFM each).

The real question is how well the Zalman is cooling your CPU and whether
the motherboard you have is rated for that CPU and whether your memory
is good/compatible.

The BIOS should have some display of the CPU temp in one of it's
options.  If you leave the FSB at 333 and leave the system idling on the
BIOS display of the CPU temp, how hot do the system get after 30 minutes
to an hour (assuming it doesn't lockup).

Now, assuming that the system didn't lockup in the above test, have you
run the memory through a complete Memtest cycle (or two)?

If the above two pass (no lockup), then more information will be needed
regarding how and when it locks up.

--
Jamin W. Collins