Re: Default header weeding in Mutt

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 01:03:49AM -0300, Javier Kohen wrote:

> I recently had a mail exchange with Marco d'Itri regarding the default
> setup of Mutt. More specifically, that it hides the Date header and
> displays instead the Delivery-Date date. I present below the original
> conversation, which can be found in its complete form at
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=193812 .
>
> - - Me -
> I wonder why you put the "ignore date" directive in /etc/Muttrc, I find
> the Date header much more useful than Delivery-Date, which is what I was
> getting from the MTA.
> Therefore my suggestion is to change the line that reads "ignore date"
> to "ignore delivery-date".
> - - Marco -
> Because I like it this way.
> - - Me -
> I usually respect Debian maintainers' decisions regarding to the default
> settings provided with their packages <snip>

I think you should indeed! Anyway, it is as Marco says: he likes it that
way. Others like it another way. Personally, I whole-heartedly agree
with you: I want to know when the person sending me the mail hit the
Send button. I can see that it eventually arrived in my mailbox. I want
to know how much time has passed between sending and reading. I only
want to know when it hit my mailbox when checking some anomaly; I can
type 'h' for that.

Either way, the package default is ignore date and show delivery-date.
Help save the world, change your /etc/Muttrc today! (like I did...)

David