Re: Mozilla bookmarks

* Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) [030707 15:51]:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 04:11:36PM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Why do you need to exit from Mozilla first before the bookmarks get
> > permanently stored on disk? I mean, when you have saved a bookmark and
> > Moz crashes, the new bookmarks wouldn't get stored.
>
> Probably because it stores the bookmarks in memory and doesn't bother
> writing them to disk until it needs to, ie. when you shut it down so
> it can't keep them in memory anymore. Lots of apps do this sort of
> thing. The general rule is that if an app crashes you can expect to
> lose anything you've done in it that you haven't explicitly saved to
> disk.

True.  The problem Oki describes is real, though: I don't believe
there's any way to "save" without closing mozilla.  This means that some
data (the bookmarks) can't be saved without losing other data (the
"state" of the session: open tabs, "back" and "forward" history, etc.)

I'd say this would be an appropriate issue to file in bugzilla (if it's
not already there, of course).

good times,
Vineet
--