Re: What directories can be shared between multiple distributions on the same machine??

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:20:25 +0200
David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:37:18PM +0200, Lukas Ruf wrote:
>>
>> I assume:
>>  swap -- without problems
>>  usr  -- I wouldn't since all distros make use of slightly different
>>          configurations
>>  etc  -- dito
>>  home -- yes
>>  var  -- with a lot of care due to "usr"-problematic
>>  dev  -- depends on the various kernels, i.e. devfs <-> legacy devs
>>
>> In general:
>>  - where OS/distro-dependend stuff is in, rather not
>>  - user's data like home of course
>>
>> What do the other think?
>
> Basically, I agree with you. /home, /tmp and swap. Nothing more. You run
> the risk of either breaking or polluting different distros.

I might imagine that there'd be others if you were aggressive about
sub-partitioning.  For example, if /var/mail were its own partition,
mounted at either /var/mail or /var/spool/mail depending on what a
particular distro did, I would think that'd work.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)