Re: /usr/local or /opt? which is better?

Zhao YouBing <zhaoyb@cad.zju.edu.cn> writes:

> for install programs?

In Debian, I'd always use /usr/local and never /opt.

> There are some difference anyway, /usr/local is for local group access
> and /opt can  be made globally sharable,

...huh?  /usr/local is just as globally sharable as any other
directory.  If you wanted to export or mount /usr/local using, say,
NFS, nothing stops you.  /usr/local also has the slight advantage that
some packages (like Emacs) know to look for things in particular
subdirectories of /usr/local.

You also might find packages like 'stow' useful for organizing
/usr/local, so you can keep track of what things you have installed
locally.  At my work, we NFS-mount /usr/local and use Encap
(http://www.encap.org/, which is just like stow but different) to
manage the installed programs.

	-- Abra Mitchell