Re : Atapi CD-Writer!

> I'm running Debian 3.0, idepci kernel, my cd-writer is a (Goldstar) LG8080
> IDE/ATAPI which seems to be pretty much plain-vanilla  (i.e. it needs no
>special drivers), on /hdb.

A couple of things you need to do first in order to do what you want you will
need at least three new modules. You already have the first the scsi-ide, you
also need sr_mod which goes along with the scsi-ide module. Also you will
need the sg module.
In the howto's the first couple of scripts check your system to see if you
have these modules and devices for them.  But since your running the ide
kernel it should be taken care of.  Try lsmod as root to see what modules are
listed.  Then try to modprobe those which you lack to see if the modules are
built.

If the modules you lack are not built, or do not exist you need to recompile
the kernel for their support.  If you do not want to recompile the kernel do
some apt-cache search for kernel images, make sure you find one that has
everything you need.

You are correct in editing  menu.lst, you need to pass the boot prams on boot
up. such as you mentioned hdb=ide-scsi and such.

Check your Dmesg after bootup to see what messages you get, you should get
some init sections about scsi-ide in place.  Then you need to change your
etc/fstab to reflect the changes.  Or you can change the symlink in devices
to point to the correct scsi device.  Which might be /dev/sr0 -> /dev/scd0 or
just edit /etc/fstab  for /dev/scd0 instead of /dev/cdrom.
Also if you do manage to get a cdrecord -scanbus listing, you can always use
K3B kde burning app to help set up your device.  Its setup will even change
the /etc/fstab settings for you if you want.  After you do that make sure you
run update-modules, and add the modules to /etc/modules so they get loaded
with the others.

Rthoreau