Re: Why are passwords in /etc?

on Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 12:47:58AM +0200, Sebastian Kapfer (sebastian_kapfer@web.de) wrote:

> A related question. I always thought that /etc/mtab was supposed to be a
> symlink to /proc/mounts in newer Linux distros. On my Debian boxes, it is a
> regular file managed by mount and friends. Why is this the case?

Creating this as a symlink is possible, though it breaks in edge cases.
Most notably, loopback mounts aren't properly freed.

It is possible to refresh or rectify /etc/mtab by catting /proc/mounts
over it if necessary.

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/