Performance of a binaries vs source compliation!

I have been doing some research lately about the performance difference
between binary packages, and those compiled from source.  From what I have
learned so far their really is not a good tool to verify the difference.

I keep hearing about how important a source package is over a binary.  Some
Gentoo fan boys swear by it.  But I want to know about facts.
If I compile my kernel and use binary packages such as we do here with debian.
How much of a performance hit will I take?

Has anyone done a source vs binary package performance test comparison?

How much faster would a XFree86 source compiled be against a binary of the
same package under similar compile flags?  Could the average user tell the
difference?  How stable would the combination be?

I know that their is always a trade off, between speed and stability, a lot of
people can compile with speed optimizations with less stable results.  The
Gentoo forums are full of discussions of unstable choices used in
compilation.

What I would really like to see is a comparison of basic packages done with
speed and stability as a base to see what holds up.
Is their such a beast, or has someone done some basic research to see what the
difference is?

I would like to see a basic Debian package vs Gentoo Emerge package on the
same system comparision.

Anyway hope I haven't gone two much off topic, just curious.

Rthoreau
I like top posting, that is what headers are for!