Re: Performance of a binaries vs source compliation!

On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 18:43, Rthoreau wrote:
> I have been doing some research lately about the performance difference
> between binary packages, and those compiled from source.  From what I have
> learned so far their really is not a good tool to verify the difference.
<snip>
For 99% of cases its not worth it. Most packages are compiled for i386
and thus are not optimized for every new chip. You can compile packages
for i686 or newer but the few clock cycles you save will not make your
word processing any faster. OTOH, if you are doing CG rendering, perhaps
it will be beneficial. BTW, Gentoo folks love to compile things, its in
their blood.
-Kev