Re: Where to set moz GUI font?

Op do 03-07-2003, om 19:31 schreef Jan Willem Stumpel:
> This was my experience with the Mozilla GUI font:
>
> 1) Moz 1.0 running on Woody: no particular problem. But of course
> this is 1.0, and Woody, and one likes to upgrade.
>
> 2) After upgrade to Sarge, Moz is still 1.0, but Moz´s GUI font is
> very ugly. This is caused by a bad Helvetica font and/or a bad
> Type1 font renderer in the Sarge version of xserver-xfree86, as
> explained in
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200305/msg00379.html
>
> The solution is to move the line
>
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
>
> to the bottom of the list of FontPaths in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
> The Mozilla GUI font is no longer pig-ugly, but some acceptable
> anti-aliased sans-serif font. Well, bold. I´d like it better if it
> were somewhat thinner.
>
> 3) Then (keeping a Sarge system in principle but installing Moz
> 1.3 from unstable) the GUI font changes *again*. Now it is a
> non-bold, anti-aliased, very tiny, serif font (probably Times New
> Roman). I don´t like it but do not know how to change it.
>
> QUESTION: with Moz's Edit, Preferences, Appearance, Fonts the
> font(s) of Moz´s *content* can be set. But where can the *GUI*
> font be set (and fixed against the effects of upgrades)?
>
> Regards, Jan

Using aptitude, searching for the mozilla-browser package revealed that
it uses libgtk. So, to set the font of the gui, make a ~/.gtkrc file
and specify the font there. Mine looks like this:

style "gtk-default-iso-8859-15" {
 fontset = "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15,\
    -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15,*-r-*"
}

class "GtkWidget" style "gtk-default-iso-8859-15"

The "gtk-default-iso-8859-15" is only a name so change that to
whatever you want but make sure you mention the changed name then also
in the last line.
To see how a font looks and find out what the description is so you can
enter that in the fontset line, use the Xfontsel program.

Regards,
Benedict