Re: GRUB problem

* Kevin McKinley (ronin2@bellatlantic.net) [030701 13:33]:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 19:54:51 +1200
> cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> > Errrm, *I* didn't produce that line
> > kernel     /vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci  root=/dev/hda1 ro
> >  - grub-install did.
> >
> > In fact, if I read GRUB terminology aright, it's looking for
> > (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci.
> > Or, as Linux sees it,  /dev/hda/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci
> > aka   /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci.
> >
> > And it's there, and also in
> > /boot/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci
> > (because I copied it there just to make sure).
> In the kernel line of menu.lst (or at the grub command prompt), /<something>
> means something in the root directory of the filesystem, not in /boot. If
> you want the latter, specify it either as /boot/<something> or as
> (hd0,0)/<something>.

You're using contradicting terms.  /<something> does indeed mean
something in the root directory of _a_ filesystem.  Which filesystem?
(hd0,0) (a.k.a. /dev/hda1, a.k.a. /boot).  cr is correct in saying that
that (hd0,0)/vmlinux-2.2.20-idepci is the same as what Linux calls
/boot/vmlinux-2.2.20-idepci .  Grub's root is specified as (hd0,0), so
all filenames are relative to that filesystem.  Grub doesn't mount a
tree of filesystems like linux does; it just mounts one, known as it's
root (or groot, in the nomenclature used by debian's default menu.lst)
and all filenames are relative to that.

good times,
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."  --President Thomas Jefferson