Re: Newbie Question

The best option would be to re-install the whole system with the 2.4.18 kernel. This can be done in woody (3.0r1) by typing bf24 on the first screen of the install.

Hope this helps.

Abrasive <abrasive@houston.rr.com> wrote:
Okay, after loading a new machine with Debian 3.0r1, I've found that I need to install a
newer kernel. Without the kernel, debian won't recognize my NIC or my display
adapter. So, I don't have internet access on that computer.
I'd like to download all the necessary files to upgrade the kernel from 2.2.x to a 2.4.x
kernel. But, I don't know which files to download, and I have no idea how to upgrade
the kernel the 'Debian Way'
Once I have the files,(once I find out which files I'll need) I'll download them to this
machine, and burn them to a CD. Then I'll copy them to the new machine.
>From there, I'm at aloss. Any help that I can get would be MUCH appreciated.
I'm not new to linux/unix, just new to Debian. And I don't understand the package
system very well, or doing things the Debian Way.
Thanks.