Re: Junk mail on the list.

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 08:39 am, Wim De Smet wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:24:43 -0500
>
> David <dbree@duo-county.com> wrote:

> > > The polite term for it is 'Spam'    :(
> > >
> > > Nope, I'm getting it too.   Most noticeably the loony with his
> > > 60-K-sized posts about 'IEEP' and bizarre gobbledygook.   Six of 'em
> > > at last count....
> >
> > Can someone explain what these are all about?  I've seen some of these
> > types of huge amounts of gibberish on other lists..  Are they strictly
> > for harassment or what?
>
> I don't know which mails you're talking about, but it could simply be
> spam in some foreign language, like chinese or japanese, which your
> mailclient can't view...

No.. it's mails like the one referred to above..  (about 'IEEP'), several
of which appeared on this list a few days ago..  Long strings of incoherent
words.. not making any sense at all..

I've seen similar entries before on other lists and newsgroups..  in
particular groups like mail-abuse-sightings, etc.  It almost seems as if
they are simply to harass the group and take up bandwidth...

It really doesn't matter, I suppose, but I have been curious about them.