PDF viewers capable of high zoom factors

I have a map of the British mainland as a .pdf file. In order to see
useful local details on it, I want to be able to zoom in by about 50x.
I have tried xpdf, gv, ghostview and kghostview, but nothing appears
to be able to zoom in more than 10x.

The solution that occurs to me is to hack the source of one of these
apps to enable higher zoom factors, but before doing this I thought I
would ask and see if anyone knows of a simpler solution - like a more
flexible app, or converting the .pdf to PostScript and performing some
hack on the PostScript which my knowledge of PostScript (zero)
prevents me from thinking of.

Any suggestions?

--
Pigeon