Re: Can't boot anything....

Hi again!

On 25 Jun 2003, Alex Malinovich wrote:

>If the only problem is that your MBR got wiped out, just re-running lilo
>should fix the problem. First try "lilo -v" as root. This will just
>re-run lilo and show you what it's doing in the process. Keep an eye out
>for error messages. I BELIEVE that lilo will automatically write the
>result to the MBR to begin with. If it doesn't, you can try "lilo -vM
>/dev/hda" (replace hda with whatever device your HD is actually on). If
>you want to reinstall the mbr package, just run "apt-get install
>--reinstall mbr". Assuming that the MBR being corrupted was the only
>problem, this should take care of everything.

Mmmm, it didn't, but I have a system that boots from HD now! :-)

I'm still really confused, though.

Basically, if I go lilo -vM /dev/hda
it just complains that /boot/mbr.b doesn't exist, and reinstalling mbr
doesn't fix that.

But then, I went on to actually read the README files (I should do that
more often... :-) ), and it said that mbr.b was not in use anymore, it
wasn't something the mbr package did anymore. Instead, I should use the
install-mbr script, which I did.

After running that, the system boots from HD.

However, upon installing a new kernel, there are still complaints from the
script about mbr.b not existing, and  lilo -vM /dev/hda still doesn't do
anything for the same reason.

So, it looks like the new behavior of the mbr package is something that
confuses the rest of the system, what's going on?

I tried long ago to use GRUB on this machine (and I do on my parent's
machine), but it wasn't very successful, in fact I couldn't boot with
GRUB. A good friend who knows a whole lot more about Debian than I also
had a go at that without being successful. But is it a LILO specific
problem?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Recent astrophysics graduate                  Problems worthy of attack