Troubles with Gnome2

Context: testing, gdm & gnome 1.4

Updating testing frequently I've been moved (unconsciously or perhaps
by mistake: I run apt-get update; apt-get upgrade) to gnome2.

Now I'm facing two major problems with gnome2:

1) When gdm starts gnome2 the following error fastidiously pops up:

`Failed to activate "OAFIID:GNOME_SETTINGS_DAEMON" '

and then clicking on ok I can go under gnome2 (apparently without
further inconvenience).

2) Even though I'm Italian, as far Debian linux is concerned, I prefer
to stick to English as my "pet" language (just to partecipate to this
group for instance); therefore I had set up gnome 1.4 in
English. Well, out of the blue, gnome2 is now in Italian and it is
absolutely insensitive to my efforts to change languages by means of
gdm (which, by the way has been turned to Italian too!!??).

Please help to fix 1 and 2.

Ciao
Vittorio