Re: Linux debian source code.

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 09:33:15PM -0400, Dan Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 15:15, Fabio Miranda Hamburger wrote:
> > How can i get the source code of linux debian -stable?
> > If I want to get it from a ftp mirror, what would be the full
> > directory to reach it?
>
> No offense intended but your question either isn't very clear or
> indicates that you do not understand the nature of a Linux
> distribution.  There is no source code to Linux Debian per se.

I kind of see your point but disagree; I'd say that the collection of
all Debian source packages forms the source to Debian.

> (Some distributions may provide a custom, patched kernel but they're
> all based on the main kernel.  I don't believe Debian does any custom
> patches to their default kernel but I could be mistaken.)

We do; the list is in some README file or other in /usr/share/doc in
kernel-image packages.

> Many, though not all, Debain packages have source packages.

Every package in the Debian archive must have a source package. In the
case of the contrib and non-free sections, it may be a faked-up source
package which really contains binaries or an installer which goes to the
net to download binaries. Every package in the main section has a real
source package.

Cheers,