Re: Correct way to add things to shell profile?

What do you mean by "evaluate", please?

If you simply want a path to be set for all users, add it to
/etc/profile:

bret@ganesha:~$ cat /etc/profile
# /etc/profile: system-wide .profile file for the Bourne shell (sh(1))
# and Bourne compatible shells (bash(1), ksh(1), ash(1), ...).

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/j2se/1.3
export CLASSPATH=.:/lib/tools.jar:/lib/dt.jar

All users inherit the environment in /etc/profile.  Do you mean
something else?

Also, in general, debian.org has links to fairly good documentation, and
much of it can also be installed locally.

Cheers,
Bret

bwaldow at alum.mit.edu