Re: reinstall probs (bug,spamassassin,gettext)

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:01:12 -0400
Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:

> Today I reinstalled my system and have lost several programs and am
> having troubles with others. This is to be expected but I'd like to know
> how to resolve them.
>
> 1) I used to be able to type 'bug <package>' at the command line and an
> email would be composed listing the characteristics of my system and the
> installed dependencies for the package. I could then add an explanation
> and the email would be sent to debian. The package 'bug' has
> disappeared. Is there a replacement?

"reportbug" is the package you want.

> 3) I installed a minimal woody and then reinstalled all the programs
> from testing. 'gettext' is required for some program but this is what I
> get when I try to install it:
>
> Unpacking gettext (from .../gettext_0.10.40-8_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/gettext_0.10.40-8_i386.deb (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man3/textdomain.3.gz', which is
>  also in package gettext-base
>
> 'apt-get -f install' doesn't help.
> 'apt-get -f --force-yes install' doesn't help.

It looks like you're installing from multiple versions, including
*unstable*.  According to http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages ,
the file "/usr/share/man/man3/textdomain.3.gz" is in the package
"gettext" in stable and testing, and was moved into "gettext-base"
in unstable.  So it looks like you're installing gettext out of
testing (ver 0.10.40-8), when you've installed gettext-base out of
unstable (or something like that).  So you might try purging
both packages; then checking and fixing your sources.list file;
then installing them again.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)