Re: emu10k1 WILL NOT load!

Am Sam, 2003-06-28 um 19.47 schrieb mduffy@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu:

[...]

> My sound card is a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy MP3 and so the corresponding
> driver should be emu10k1. I am running a 2.4.9 kernel and have tried compiling
> the driver module directly into the kernel with no luck. So I currently have
> the driver compiled as a separate loadable module, however no matter what I try,
> I can not get it to load. Running  $ modprobe -v emu10k1  I get the following
> output:
>
> siva:~# modprobe -v emu10k1

I do not own this soundcard, so i have to assume that emu10k1 is indeed
needed for this card.

[...]

> /lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: init_module: No such
> device

This tells us that no compatible device for *this* driver has been
found.

[...]

> Ok, so I took the "Hint:" and ran  $ lspci -v to obtain irq=5, io=0xd800. Now,
> from here I may not know exactly what I'm doing, but I went ahead and ran  $
> modprobe -v emu10k1 irq=5 io=0xd800 and received:
>
> siva:~# modprobe -v emu10k1 irq=5 io=0xd800
> /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o irq=5
> io=0xd800
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o
> Symbol version prefix ''
> /lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: invalid parameter
> parm_irq

Looks like there is no irq parameter in emu10k1. Adding irq or io should
*not* be needed for PCI devices.

[...]

Here is my suggestion:

At the time kernel 2.4.9 was released, there was no support for your
card in the emu10k1 driver, so you need to update either the kernel or
only the driver.

In case you only want an up-to-date driver, build emu10k1 as module for
your current kernel, then download the new driver from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1

You'll need the tools, too BTW.
Build and install, then run depmod -a and modprobe emu10k1.

Or just upgrade to kernel 2.4.21 and see if it works.

HTH
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice