Re: How to dpkg -i on broken system

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:30:49AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> My system got in a broken state in which it could not mount some
> disks.  I had patched the evms libraries to correct a problem, and
> then overwrote them with an updated Debian package (which
> unfortunately lacked the patch).
>
> I wanted to dpkg -i my_old.deb (that will work, even for a downgrade,
> won't it?), but dpkg said
> dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: No such file or directory

To install a package with a broken dpkg, try the instructions here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html#s6.3.7

If you still have /var/backups, you'll find several backups of dpkg's
status file there.

Also look at:
http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-rescue-var
http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-recover-status