Re: Debian lilo won't boot Redhat

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 03:53:16AM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 20:57, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > I got a system with Red Hat 9 preinstalled, booting with lilo.  After
> > making some space, I installed Debian (testing) on it.  I thought it
> > would be good to preserve the ability to boot into RH, so I mounted its
> > partitions under /red in linux
> this is the wrong thing to do, don't mount the redhat partition there,
> just use root=/dev/hdXX for redhat, where hdXX is the red hat root
> partition,
> you want redhat to use that partition as / not as /red
>
> > , and modified its lilo.conf to use these
> > new paths.  (That is, I created /etc/lilo.conf under Debian based on the
> > lilo conf from RH).
> >
> > Surprisingly, I find I'm unable to start RH doing this.  I get
> > Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to the kernel
> > (it is already getting that option).
>
> > On the other hand, if I chroot to /red and run lilo -b /dev/fd0, I get
> > something I can boot off.
> that's right because the systen expects everything to be under / and not
> under /red
>
> Bijan

To clarify: I mounted the red hat partitions under /red when running
Debian.  My understanding is the lilo's map, and so it's boot process,
use absolute disk locations and so shouldn't care how I get to the
files.  The lilo.conf under Debian refers to them like /red/boot/...

RedHat's fstab does refer to the partitions as /dev/sdaXX, and does
not use the /red root.

So I don't think the use of /red is the source of the problem.  Of
course, at this point, everything is suspect.  I have triple-checked
that I'm actually referring to the right partitions under Debian.