New To Debian

Hello all.  I'm fairly new to debian, and mostly new to linux.  I've got two major problems.
I'm running debian 3.0r1on a Compaq computer: EVO D3 1.8ghz computer.

The video card is an Intel 845-G chipset graphics driver,
and the network card is an Intel Pro 100 Desktop Adapter

My first problem, is that I don't know how to install the NIC.
My second problem is that I can't find a driver that will let me run X with the 845-g
I can throw an S3 in the computer and run X all day, but I can't get it to work with the
Intel graphics card...

Any ideas?