Re: CD-burning

On 25 Jun 2003 at 9:18, David Fokkema wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> I waded through the how-to-burn-knoppix-iso-700Mb-etc thread from a
> while back, but could not find anything solid to help me...
>
> I burned a Knoppix iso on a 700Mb CD-RW on my HP CD-Writer 8100 running
> Debian Woody using cdrecord. No problems there... However, when I try to
> burn a CD-R, I get medium errors when fixating the drive, :-(
>
> I tried to burn at 2x speed instead of 4x since my drive can only burn
> CD-RWs at 2x, but that didn't help. The writing is fine, the fixating
> not. How is this possible? Already wasted three discs with my
> 'experiments'...
>
> BTW: I already used two different brands, however, the speed 2x test was
> with only one brand, I'm out of the other one.
>
> I ran cdrecord -v dev=1,0 speed=2 KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.iso.
>
> TIA,
> David

Hi david, I too have an HP-8100 series cd writer.
They have a 650 megabyte limit to them. The most I have managed to
squeeze out of it was 658Mb without turning it into a coaster.
This is a physical limit to the drive itself, and even a firmware upgrade
doesn't bypass this.
The only way to burn more is to buy a newer drive.

Cheers & Beers

Haldor Riddering