Re: how to use rpm in debian

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 11:00:46PM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> To me, the thought of two separate package databases (Debian, RPM) in
> use at once makes me shudder, as leaving the room for each to overwrite
> important files installed by the other. It is why, when I do build
> software from source, it goes on /opt or /usr/local, and 'alien' gets
> used when I *must* turn to a .rpm - someday I will learn the details to
> write the debian/ scripts, strictly grab source when it isn't in the
> Debian archives, and keep everything kosher.

Well, a .deb is just an ar archive with a couple of scripts and a tar
file of the program data.  Have you seen 'checkinstall'?  You can use it
to automagically make .debs from uDebianised source trees.  Sure, it
won't integrate nicely into Debian, but it'll keep dpkg informed of what
you're doing...

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>  |   mlspam@ertius.org   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?