Using Samba as a PDC for Win2k

Hello all,

I have one machine setup with samba 3 (or whatever comes with sarge),
and it works fine for sharing stuff with Win95 and 98 machines. I wanted
to be able to have a Win2k machine logon using the users on the samba
machine, so I looked into how to set up samba to work as a PDC.

I went to:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Samba-Authenticated-Gateway-HOWTO.html
http://sunsite.dk/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/samba-pdc-howto.html
http://sunsite.dk/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/samba-pdc-faq.html

But I'm still having some problems. Partly, probably, because the
samba-pdc-howto is for samba 2.2, but anyway, this is what happens. I
configured smb.conf to have the stuff that the howto suggests, and even
added a 'machine user'. In Win2k when I go to Network Identification ->
Properties and type in the domain, it asks for a 'Domain Username and
Password'. I've tried root, Administrator and some other accounts that
are members of the group I specified as domain admins, and it keeps
saying "unknown username or bad password".

I think this might have something to do with the new passdb.tdb file
that's supposed to replace smbpasswd... I tried using the smbpasswd
utility, and it said "Failed to modify entry for user blah$". Since that
machine *does* exist in /etc/passwd, i looked around for smbpasswd and
couldn't find it on my drive. I found smbpasswd.bak, so then I ran
mksmbpasswd according to the manual, but that still didn't help. So then
I reconfigured the samba package, to find out that the password thing is
now in passdb.tdb. In case passdb.tdb was out of date, I moved it to a
new name and let dpkg-reconfigure generate a new one. Now the smbpasswd
utility works just fine, but I still can't logon to the domain; I still
get "unknown username or bad password" when signing in with user root.

Any ideas?
Thanks