Re: Using Samba as a PDC for Win2k

hi ya ian

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Ian Melnick wrote:

> I went to:
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Samba-Authenticated-Gateway-HOWTO.html
> http://sunsite.dk/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/samba-pdc-howto.html
> http://sunsite.dk/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/samba-pdc-faq.html
>
> I think this might have something to do with the new passdb.tdb file
> that's supposed to replace smbpasswd... I tried using the smbpasswd
> utility, and it said "Failed to modify entry for user blah$". Since that

do you have WinUser  account created in the (debian) samba server
	- what is the contents of smb.conf ??

	- fix/check workgroup and encryption stuff
	- fix/check pdc options

	- fix/check your nmb/smb ports on the firewalls

to add users ...
	debian# smbpasswd -a WinUser

to test it
	win98:C>  NetworkNeighborhood -> you should see your debian box

	win98:C>  printer manager --> you should see the printers on the
			debian box

	win98:c>  you should be able to network map your
		debian:/home/winUser  onto your win98 box

- use the latest samba from samba.org  and the default/verbose smb.conf
  unless you know what options does blah and which ones to throw out

c ya
alvin