You must have Ncurses installed in order to use 'make menuconfig'

Greetings!
I am trying to recompile my kernel on a freshly installed machine, and got into
a problem: when I try to go for 'make manuconfig', here's what happens:

---
hermes:/usr/src/linux# make menuconfig
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/scripts/lxdialog'
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

>> Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
>>
>> You must have Ncurses installed in order
>> to use 'make menuconfig'

make[1]: *** [ncurses] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/scripts/lxdialog'
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
hermes:/usr/src/linux#
---

However, I *do* have libncurses5 installed, as well as every other packages
which matched a search for ncurses on my dselect. My sources for apt are set as
the 7 binary CDs, and the ftp.us.debian.org site.

I've googled for it, and searched the debian-user lists' archive, and found
nothing useful there, except for one page which refers to SUSE, and said:

[quote]
  The include files for ncurses are located in the package "ncurses-devel".
  The kernel requires specifically /usr/include/ncurses.h.
[/quote]

Even then, I cannot find the ncurses-devel package in dselect, nor on debian's
FTP site.
If it's not the ncurses-devel package that is missing, what could it be?

Regards,

Breno Moiana
"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."

    -- Immanuel Kant