Re: Exim log rotation

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:18:54AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
| I'd like to rotate my exim logs weekly instead of daily.
| In /etc/cron.daily/exim there's:
| # Cycle logs
| if [ -x /usr/bin/savelog ]; then
|   for i in mainlog rejectlog paniclog; do
|     if [ -s /var/log/exim/$i ]; then
|       savelog -p -c 10 /var/log/exim/$i >/dev/null
|     fi
|   done
| fi
| I could move that bit of code into a new script in cron.weekly, but I'm
| wondering if there's a better way -- I'm worried that updating exim
| package in the future will then update that cron.daily script and then
| I'll have two rotation schemes going.
| Is there a reason why logrotate isn't used for exim?  savelog doesn't
| seem to have much for features.

I don't know.  I simply removed the above portion of the packaged
script and made my own logrotate configuration.  I highly doubt you'll
run into problems there by updating the package -- the package won't
have any newer releases.  The new version is packaged as 'exim4'.
Additionally you can check the list in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.conffiles to see if the file is marked as
config.  If it is, then dpkg will prompt you during an upgrade.

But As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
        Joshua 24:15