Re: Exim log rotation

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:18:54AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:

| I'd like to rotate my exim logs weekly instead of daily.
|
| In /etc/cron.daily/exim there's:
|
| # Cycle logs
| if [ -x /usr/bin/savelog ]; then
|   for i in mainlog rejectlog paniclog; do
|     if [ -s /var/log/exim/$i ]; then
|       savelog -p -c 10 /var/log/exim/$i >/dev/null
|     fi
|   done
| fi
|
| I could move that bit of code into a new script in cron.weekly, but I'm
| wondering if there's a better way -- I'm worried that updating exim
| package in the future will then update that cron.daily script and then
| I'll have two rotation schemes going.
|
| Is there a reason why logrotate isn't used for exim?  savelog doesn't
| seem to have much for features.

I don't know.  I simply removed the above portion of the packaged
script and made my own logrotate configuration.  I highly doubt you'll
run into problems there by updating the package -- the package won't
have any newer releases.  The new version is packaged as 'exim4'.
Additionally you can check the list in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.conffiles to see if the file is marked as
config.  If it is, then dpkg will prompt you during an upgrade.

-D

--
But As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
        Joshua 24:15

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/