Re: You must have Ncurses installed in order to use 'make menuconfig'

* breno.moiana@partekforest.com (breno.moiana@partekforest.com) [030625 13:06]:
> Greetings!
> I am trying to recompile my kernel on a freshly installed machine, and got into
> a problem: when I try to go for 'make manuconfig', here's what happens:
>
> ---
> hermes:/usr/src/linux# make menuconfig
> rm -f include/asm
> ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> make -C scripts/lxdialog all
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/scripts/lxdialog'
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> >> Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
> >>
> >> You must have Ncurses installed in order
> >> to use 'make menuconfig'
>
> make[1]: *** [ncurses] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/scripts/lxdialog'
> make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
> hermes:/usr/src/linux#
> ---
>
> However, I *do* have libncurses5 installed, as well as every other packages
> which matched a search for ncurses on my dselect. My sources for apt are set as
> the 7 binary CDs, and the ftp.us.debian.org site.
>
> I've googled for it, and searched the debian-user lists' archive, and found
> nothing useful there, except for one page which refers to SUSE, and said:

Really?  The 4th google hit for "debian kernel ncurses" gave me

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.en.html

which contains:

Modify the kernel configuration using one of these commands:

    * make config (for a tty one-line-at-a-time-interface).

    * make menuconfig (for an ncurses-based menu driven interface). Note that to use this option, the libncurses5-dev package must be installed.

    * make xconfig (for an X11 interface). Using this option requires that relevant X and Tcl/Tk packages be installed.

This is the way that libraries are packaged for debian.  The lib package
contains the runtime libraries, and the lib*-dev package contains the
development files necessary for compilation (header files and such).

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/