Re: Howto share package database via nfs & offline ?

[20030625] Jesse Meyer (meyer@btinet.net) wrote:

> Why bother with NFS when you can use apt-proxy (apt-cache show
> apt-proxy).  This seems to be the more robust solution, since as soon
> as you install nifty_package_1.0 on 2 of the machines, your nfs-update
> solution might suffer.

I'm new to debian :) So using this apt-proxy, when installing
packages with apt-get on clients fetches the packages from the
server to the clients' apt cache ? If it does I guess I should
enable "clean" on apt-get on clients to save disk space...

> > Also I want to keep updated some off-line (or w/ 56k-modem) boxes
> > using the same way & then use apt-zip to upgrade them, fetching
> > newer packages off work. Should I transfer the same dir from the
> > 'server' on these boxes ?
>
> I haven't tried it, but apt-move looks like it could be an excellent
> solution.  Else, there is always the 3 am cronjob to only download
> the updates and send an email to you in the morning.

I don't want to move the packages on the offline boxes, I want
package database, so that I don't need to run apt-get update on
that box...

> (PS:  For some odd reason, mutt tried to include your signature in
> the reply.  Is your sig deliminator dash dash space return?  If it
> is, ignore this, its 4:17 am local time, and I could be suffering
> from sleep deprivation.)

Never happened before...

--
Manolis Tzanidakis