Re: Howto share package database via nfs & offline ?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Manolis Tzanidakis wrote:

> Hello,
> I want to install debian on all my boxes at work (~20) and have
> the package database shared via nfs so that I'd run 'apt-get
> update' only once on the 'server' box & have them all updated.
> All boxes will use the same apt sources of course.
> Which dir should I share from the server box ?

Why bother with NFS when you can use apt-proxy (apt-cache show
apt-proxy).  This seems to be the more robust solution, since as soon
as you install nifty_package_1.0 on 2 of the machines, your nfs-update
solution might suffer.

> Also I want to keep updated some off-line (or w/ 56k-modem) boxes
> using the same way & then use apt-zip to upgrade them, fetching
> newer packages off work. Should I transfer the same dir from the
> 'server' on these boxes ?

I haven't tried it, but apt-move looks like it could be an excellent
solution.  Else, there is always the 3 am cronjob to only download
the updates and send an email to you in the morning.

> Any howto/docs urls available for the things I'd like to do ?
> I'm not so experienced with debian yet :)

I just used apt-cache search apt-get

(PS:  For some odd reason, mutt tried to include your signature in
the reply.  Is your sig deliminator dash dash space return?  If it
is, ignore this, its 4:17 am local time, and I could be suffering
from sleep deprivation.)

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night