Re: "DriveReady SeekComplete" errors with new hard drive

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 04:25:20AM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I just recently added a new hard drive to my firewall machine and I'm
> seeing the following errors:
>
> Jun 17 06:05:59 Bigbrother kernel: hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Jun 17 06:05:59 Bigbrother kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 {
> UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=10914399, sector=10914224
> Jun 17 06:05:59 Bigbrother kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:01
> (hdc), sector 10914224

[...]
> Is anyone familiar with this error? Is it anything to be concerned
> about? Is there any way to fix it? I've heard that getting a "DriveReady
> SeekComplete" error could be a sign of imminent drive failure, but this
> drive is almost brand new. I've never had any problems with it before.
> And, as far as I've been able to tell, it isn't losing any data or
> behaving in any other strange way. Any suggestions?

I've had this where a system was configured to spin down a drive on
not being used for a while. The first command to the drive is usually
a seek, and it takes long enough for the drive to spin up and complete
the seek that the command times out.

There may be a relevant setting in your BIOS.

I keep my drives on always, as it's rare they go very long without
access, and I suspect the strain of the initial spin up happening
several times a day is worse than the strain of continuous use.