Re: GRUB problem

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 00:08, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> On Tue, June 24 at  7:21 PM EDT
>
> cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> > I just tried it on this setup and got:
> >
> > <grub>  root (hd0,0)
> > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> >
> > <grub>  setup (hd0)
> > Checking if "/boot/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> > Checking if "/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> > Error 15: File not found
> >
> > /boot/boot/grub/Stage1 does exist, though.   (And df confirms that I
> > have got /dev/hda1 mounted as /boot)
> >
> > For some reason GRUB can't see the files.
> > <grub>  find  "/boot/grub/stage1"   (or any other file) brings up a
> > 'File not found'
> >
> > cr
>
> Been a while since I mucked around with grub, can't you try
> grub>find (hd0,0)/boot/grub/Stage1 ?  That might have just been me
> experimenting at the time, though.  What about specifying
> $find /boot/boot/grub/Stage1 from the grub prompt.  I also assume that
> caps count but am not sure.  What does $ls -l /boot/boot/grub show?  Are
> you doing this with the drive mounted?  I think that since the how-to
> docs I have seen recommend booting off of the grub-boot floppy that
> it thinks it is not mounted.
>
> Just throwing out ideas in case you were lacking any :)  Hope it helps.
>
> Shawn Lamson
> shawn.lamson@verizon.net
> Debian GNU/Linux 3.0

Any attempts to use 'find' from the <grub> prompt give 'file not found'.
This is after mounting with  root (hd0,0)

ls -l  shows all the files are present in /boot/boot/grub  (*and* /boot/grub
as well since I copied 'em there!)  i.e.  stage1,  stage2 and a swag of
stage1_5's.
(And yes, I do have /boot mounted on /dev/hda1, as  df  confirms.)

Thanks for the ideas.   :)

cr