Re: GRUB problem

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 03:26, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:21:20 +1200
>
> cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> > <grub>  root (hd0,0)
> > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> >
> > <grub>  setup (hd0)
> > Checking if "/boot/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> > Checking if "/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> > Error 15: File not found
> >
> > /boot/boot/grub/Stage1 does exist, though.   (And df confirms that I have
> > got /dev/hda1 mounted as /boot)
> >
> > For some reason GRUB can't see the files.
> > <grub>  find  "/boot/grub/stage1"   (or any other file) brings up a 'File
> > not found'
>
> Your files are in /boot/boot/grub, and they should be in /boot/grub.
>
> To solve your problem, do "cp -a /boot/boot/grub /boot". Then you can
> delete the directory /boot/boot/grub and its contents. Grub-install should
> work then.
>
> Then consider filing a bug against grub. grub-install should look for its
> files in /boot/boot/grub as well as /boot/grub; update-grub already does
> this.
>
> Kevin

I think grub-install actually looks for the files in /usr/lib/grub/i386pc/
and copies them to /boot/grub in root dir on  /dev/hda    OR, if you specify
(as I do)
grub-install  --root-directory=/boot  /dev/hda   then it copies them to the
/boot partition i.e.  /boot/boot/grub/   in Linux terms.

Grub itself when booted from floppy looks for files in both /boot/grub  and
/grub, going by the error messages:

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
Checking if "/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
Error 2: Bad file or directory type

cr