Re: GRUB problem

On Tue, June 24 at  7:21 PM EDT
cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> I just tried it on this setup and got:
>
> <grub>  root (hd0,0)
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>
> <grub>  setup (hd0)
> Checking if "/boot/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> Checking if "/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> Error 15: File not found
>
> /boot/boot/grub/Stage1 does exist, though.   (And df confirms that I
> have got /dev/hda1 mounted as /boot)
>
> For some reason GRUB can't see the files.
> <grub>  find  "/boot/grub/stage1"   (or any other file) brings up a
> 'File not found'
>
> cr

Been a while since I mucked around with grub, can't you try
grub>find (hd0,0)/boot/grub/Stage1 ?  That might have just been me
experimenting at the time, though.  What about specifying
$find /boot/boot/grub/Stage1 from the grub prompt.  I also assume that
caps count but am not sure.  What does $ls -l /boot/boot/grub show?  Are
you doing this with the drive mounted?  I think that since the how-to
docs I have seen recommend booting off of the grub-boot floppy that
it thinks it is not mounted.

Just throwing out ideas in case you were lacking any :)  Hope it helps.

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0