Re: GRUB problem

* cr (cr@orcon.net.nz) [030625 01:44]:
> I think grub-install actually looks for the files in /usr/lib/grub/i386pc/
> and copies them to /boot/grub in root dir on  /dev/hda    OR, if you specify
> (as I do)
> grub-install  --root-directory=/boot  /dev/hda   then it copies them to the
> /boot partition i.e.  /boot/boot/grub/   in Linux terms.
>
> Grub itself when booted from floppy looks for files in both /boot/grub  and
> /grub, going by the error messages:
>
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)
> Checking if "/boot/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> Checking if "/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> Error 2: Bad file or directory type

Just to avoid confusion, I'll reiterate what you have already so clearly
pointed out earlier in this thread.  The above messages indicte that
grub is looking for (hd0,0)/boot/grub/Stage1  (which Linux calls
/boot/boot/grub/Stage1) and then, when that's not found,
(hd0,0)/grub/Stage1 (which Linux calls /boot/grub/Stage1).  Okay, so
maybe I increased the confusion!

good times,
Vineet
--