Re: installing mouse

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 04:00:45PM -0400, Leonard Stevens wrote:
> Thanks for the info but I am so new I don't know what to do next. I started
> mdetect(I think) it seemed to run but no messages, just back to the root
> prompt.
> How do you install a driver? Maybe I could install a mouse driver if I knew
> how.
> Sorry to be so stupid but my experience is all on Unisys A machines and a
> little DOS>

Hi Leonard,

First of all, it is considered 'rude' to reply at the top of a post.
Replying at the bottom, gives the reader the oportunity to reread (parts
of) the previous post, ;-)

Secondly, you're not stupid. You're just not used to linux. When we
started to use it, we had the same problems. If you get X to work,
you're almost there, ;-)

Run mdetect -x as root in a console (not in X). It will tell you
something like:

/dev/psaux
PS/2

Then edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.
And look for the mouse directives. You now know what your driver (PS/2)
and port (/dev/psaux) are.
I think you should try the latter first, _unless_ you have manually
edited XF86Config before, then you should do that again.

HTH, David