Re: Mail lists lots of headers but mozilla does not see any imap mail (solved)

Thanks Derrick, your directions were a great help.

The weirdest thing is that Netscape seems to tell IMAP daemon
where folders are, I think.
I only entered the IMAP directory in Netscape and then
the IMAP daemon somehow picked this up and started serving the files
that I had placed in that directory.

The other unusual thing is that all folder are in my home directory
that I named ns_imap2 except for my Inbox which is in /var/mail/username

It seems to be working fine now.

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 06:19:36PM -0700, J F wrote:
| root:/var/log#   pwd
| /var/log
| root:/var/log#   egrep imap daemon.log
| Jun 16 17:49:23 a1700xp imapd[978]: connect from a1700xp.ebeb.com
| Jun 16 17:49:23 a1700xp imapd[978]: error: cannot execute /usr/sbin/imapd: | No such file or directory

That's why you didn't see anything when you telnetted to the imap
server.  The server machine couldn't correctly run the imap server.

| root:/var/log#    apt-get update
| root:/var/log#    apt-get install uw-imapd

Ok.  I use uw also.

| I now see at the tail of the log:
| Jun 16 18:05:21 a1700xp inetd[300]: extra conf for service imap2/tcp | (skipped) | Jun 16 18:05:21 a1700xp inetd[300]: extra conf for service imap2/tcp | (skipped)

Open /etc/inetd.conf in your editor.  Remove all of the "imap2" lines
*except* for the one that is correct for the imap server you are
currently running.  inetd doesn't like it when you define a given
service multiple times.

| Jun 16 18:07:09 a1700xp imapd[1161]: connect from a1700xp.ebeb.com
| | I now see email inside netscape from IMAP.

Good.

| It is working sorf of except everything
| marked unread and all folders are gone.

With many imap clients you must "subscribe" to a folder or else you
won't see it in the list.  Try that.  Subscribe to the folders you
want to see listed.

| This could be a byproduct of doing a:
| user#   fetchmail -p IMAP oldIMAPserver.localdomain

Yeah.  Fetchmail grabs the mail from the specified server, then
delivers it to the local mail system.  (by default it uses SMTP to
localhost:25, but doesn't have a terribly robust SMTP implementation)
The local mail system thus sees the messages as new (because it is
newly delivered through the mail system) and will all be delivered to
your inbox unless you have some sort of filtering/sorting set up.

| Also fetchmail only downloaded the 110 newest emails.

I don't know about this.  Read the fetchmail manual and see if it says
something about it.

| Some one recommended moving the imap file from the old server
| to the same location of files of new server.
| Maybe this will give my folders back.
| I guess I will be
|   updatedb ;  locate imap
| on both servers to find that out.

The mail isn't stored in a file called "imap".

If you have a typical basic/default set up, your inbox is
/var/mail/$USER and any other folders are located in ~/Mail.  In
addition, you are probably (but only you know how you configured
things) using the 'mbox' format which puts all messages into a single
file.  Based on that assumption :

To move the mail spool from the old server to the new one, do the
following :
    (on old server)
        cd ; tar -zcvf My-Mail.tar.gz /var/mail/$USER Mail

    Then copy "My-Mail.tar.gz" to the new server.  (I often use scp
    for that)0

    (on new server)
        mkdir /tmp/foo ; cd /tmp/foo ; tar -zxvf /path/to/My-Mail.tar.gz
        cat ./var/mail/$USER >> /var/mail/$USER
        for F in ./Mail/* ; do cat $F >> ~/Mail/`basename $F` ; done

Note: this little bit of shell doesn't handle the possibility of
having directories in ~/Mail with folders inside of them.  If you have
that sort of arrangement, you should be able to extend these
instructions to handle that.

HTH,
-D