Window manager troubles in Sid

I just installed Debian on a friend's machine yesterday.  I used Knoppix to
detect the hardware (and write down what it produced) then I used an old Woody
CD to get a base system in place.  I changed the sources.list to point at
unstable and then did apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

Everything good so far (I was only upgrading the base install).  Then I went
into dselect and picked all the programs and stuff that he wanted, including
GNOME for the desktop.  Once all was done the xserver wouldn't start (I
accidently told it the incorrect video card), but that was easily fixed.  When
I finally go GNOME to come up, the panels were in the middle of the screen and
they had regular window decorations (making me think that the problem is
actually with the window manager).

Can someone suggest a way to fix this?  The currently installed window manager
is metacity, but I can't figure out how to tell if that is where the problem
really is.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Sorteos  -  http://loteria.yahoo.es
Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa