Re: OT: America's Army

on Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:39:56PM -0700, Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca) wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:02:20PM -0700, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> > Damn these free software holier than thou zealots really drive me
> > through the roof.  Sorry to everyone else for the rant.
>
> Especially since the Army is trying to do something *nice* for once,

Um, let's not think this is a selfless move on the part of the US Army.

NPR report over the weekend was that development of this game cost $8m US.
These costs were recovered after the first 140 recruits showed up on
account of the game.

This is a recruiting tool.  Which isn't to say you can't enjoy it or
play without signing up.  But it's not a charitable gesture.

OTOH, the US Army now seems to feel that the GNU/Linux community is of
sufficient interest to expend recruiting resources on us ;-)

Peace (by whatever means necessary).

    "Rob McKenna was a miserable bastard and he knew it"
    -- HHGTG