Re: how to use rpm in debian

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Not even with "The Gross Hack" of creating an rpmdb?  The Intel C/C++
> compiler could be described using exactly the same description used to
> describe IBM's db2 in the previous messages.  I install it by picking
> it apart and reassembling because I am a purist.  I end up with a
> clean installation.  (If the license allowed it I could make the .debs
> available.  But it does not and so I can't.)

Would you be interested in making some alien diffs available so alien
could learn how to deal with this particular set of rpms? I have seen a
lot of questions by users trying to get them installed on debian lately.

/usr/share/doc/alien/gendiff.txt describes the procedure. The diffs
include patches to the alien-generated debian/rules file, so you can
move the directories in the rpm into the proper locations.

I would be very likely to add such a thing to alien if it were
submitted.

--
see shy jo