Re: 'DriveReady SeekComplete' errors with new hard drive

> I just recently added a new hard drive to my firewall machine and I'm
> seeing the following errors:

>   hda: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } hda:
> set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

I doubt this will help, but I'll put my say in anyway :)

I get the same on one of my workstations running a via chipset on a new
hdd, I have tried 5 different hdd's on the same chipset/board and all give
the same errors, I've tried different ide cables, bios updates, kernel
updates, hdparm settings so in the end I ended up replacing only the
motherboard for a sis chipset and perfect no errors.

The hdd has been running for around a year, with not a single problem, no
loss of data, no errors, so I decided to put it on the old mobo, wham!
same errors.

So it could be youre chipset for some reason??

just another view

Mark