Re: reconfigure broken network? (kinda urgent)

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 13:42, Matt Price wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In an effort to change form a dynamic to a staticIP configuration, I
> seem to have partially broken my network setup.  Here's what I did:
>
> -- added an extra line to /etc/hosts:
> 192.16.8.2.199  matts-mac   localhost

This is an invalid ip address. It should be 4 octets, eg 192.168.2.199.
I've a feeling localhost should always be 127.0.0.1 (it has been on
every system I ever looked after), maybe someone can verify.

If you are using the static config as below your /etc/hosts file should
look like this:

	127.0.0.1	localhost
	192.168.2.199	matts-mac

> -- changed the devinition of eth0 in /etc/networking/interfaces from
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

> # replace dhcpwith static
> # auto eth0
> # iface eth0 inet static
> #        address 192.168.2.199
> #        netmask 255.255.255.0
> #        broadcast 192.168.2.255
> #        gateway 192.168.2.1

This looks ok to me.

> as you can see, I've since commented it out.
>
> At this point my interface was broken, and although I tried returning
> the files to their pristie state and rebooting, I didn't have much

rebooting generally doesn't change much on a Linux/Unix box as it uses
the files you have edited.

> luck.  Then (no doubt compounding the problem) I ran dpkg-reconfigure
> on any package that looked like it might help revert me to my original
> setup, like ifupdown, inetd, net-tools, network-base.  In so doing I
> worry I might have screwed things up further...  and after I returned
> the files I'd edited by hand to their original state, things were
> still broken.
>
> the situation now is the following:
>
> - on boot, any network relateddaemon takes forever to start up before
> some connection times out.  But the system boots nonetheless.  - ping

It will boot, just without network support.

<snip>

/sbin/ifconfig will tell you what interfaces are up (should be in your
path if you are root, but not as a normal user -- unless you put /sbin
in you path :-)

Make the changes suggested above and then the following:

	ifdown --all
	ifup --all

This will take the interfaces down and then bring them back up again,
then type ifconfig to check that the interfaces are up.

I am assuming that the kernel supports the nic or you have the correct
modules loaded (lsmod). Have you changed the kernel?

rgh

--
"It is possible to make things of great complexity out of things
 that are very simple. There is no conservation of simplicity"

Richard Heycock <rgh@roughage.com.au>
tel : 0410 646 369
key fingerprint : 909D CBFA C669 AC2F A937  AFA4 661B 9D21 EAAB 4291